Thursday, February 16, 2017

Cancelled Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Cancelled is a project that I started a few years back while on tour with Fuck the Facts. During long drives I would tinker away with lyrics and ideas on my computer and eventually pull them all together when I get home. TO this day I am always finding myself writing music and wanted to try doing something completely on my own which was, and is, very different from any other band I’ve been in. I very much enjoy the collaboration between different individuals yet also relish the chance and the challenge to make something with only my own critical faculties to work with. It’s definitely a lot harder not having some other people to bounce ideas off of but it’s been a rewarding process so far.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

It’s mainly a bass driven sound with all programmed drums with some synth layers added here and there. It turned out better than I expected and I feel that having Kurt (Ballou) mix it had a huge hand in that.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

Mostly personal shit that I deal with on a day-to-day basis. This one is mainly focused on the darkness that we all bring out of each other and how we disguise the worst sides of ourselves. Writing is always about self-exploration and growth for me and I find myself in bad places if I don’t purge some music and words out of myself regularly.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Cancelled'?

Honestly, I thought it would funny on a poster. That being said I may never do it in a live environment. Funny, right?

5.With this project you record everything by yourself, do you feel this adds to the creativity of the music?

It’s different for sure. It’s truly made me appreciate all the other musicians that I write with. Just having one additional opinion does wonders for squashing self-doubt about something. This one was difficult to release and I even toyed with the idea of scrapping it because I felt as though it was too personal and I felt overly vulnerable releasing it. All in all I think it’s made me grow as a musician and a songwriter.

6.I have read that you are also looking for musicians for a live line up, have you had any luck with it?

Haven’t even asked anyone yet and I may never. If someone is interested in collaborating or helping me out I’d definitely be interested but as it stands right now it’s all just on record.

7.On a worldwide level ho has the feedback been to your recordings by fans of experimental and underground music?

Not sure about a worldwide level but for those I’ve showed it to it’s been a positive reaction. I want people to enjoy it but I’m not going to be bummed if not that many people end up hearing it. Curious to see what happens.

8.What is going on with the other band these days that you are a part of?

Greber is in the process of finishing a full length LP which we plan to release this year. I’ve also recently started a band with Matt Fleming and Nick Daleo of the late Hoosier Poet (Hamilton, ON) who are both heroes of mine so needless to say I’m pretty stoked for both those things. (Look up Hoosier Poet if you get a chance)

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

Just writing more. I really enjoy picking apart songs and asking people how they write which inevitably gets me more stoked and drives me to write more. Hopefully I’ll be heading into the future as a better musician than I was in the past. We’ll see.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I really like bands that are fearless and don’t care how others will take what they do. I take a lot of inspiration from visual artists. I feel as though it takes a ton of heart to commit to making something that most people either won’t get or think is brainless. I love that. I’ve been listening to Toronto, ON’s “Ayahuasca” a ton. Their last album “Yin” is a fucking masterpiece. THAT’s some fearless shit.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Fuck. Not much. I think I need to get into some other shit. I like to read a fair amount and skateboard in the summer. This dude needs some fucking hobbies eh?

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks a ton for the interview and for giving the EP an opened-eared listen. These questions were great! Much appreciate friend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment